Government care, NFP care

The majority of placements in WA are managed directly by the Department for Child Protection and Family Support.

In WA about one in ten children are placed in services managed by not-for-profit (NFP) organisations.

The choice of whether a child goes to government or NFP care is made by the Department.

Types of care

There are four main types of out of home care a child under a protection order may be placed in:

  • Foster care
  • Extended family or relative care (kinship care)
  • Group home
  • Special care

Foster care

In foster care the child lives with a family who may have children of their own or may have other foster children in their care.

The foster family receives support and a subsidy, either from the NFP agency that has licensed them or the Department.

Extended family or relative care

This option places the child with relatives, often grandparents, and is most often used for the placement of Aboriginal children.

Group homes

Group homes accommodate children in groups of four in houses supervised by paid carers, who live in. This is often a temporary placement for children needing a higher level of care and sibling groups.

The proportions of each type of care

As at 30 June 2012 the WA Department for Child Protection reported the following distribution of care placements.


Type N %
Parent/former guardian 335 8.9%
Foster care with relative 1,468 38.8%
DCP non-relative foster care 1055 27.9%
Funded foster care 322 8.5%
DCP residential 126 3.3%
Funded residential 238 6.3%
Family/friend 174 4.6%
Independent living 5 0.1%
Prospective adoptive placements 15 0.4%
Other 42 1.1%
Total 3,780 100.0%